Thursday, February 13, 2014

AUTHOR INTERVIEW With LAUREEN KWOCK

Today we would like to welcome author Laureen Kwock to our Friday - 13 Author Interviews. Laureen was born and raised in Hawai'i. She is a graduate of the university of Hawai'i at Mano, and the author of 20 novels under the pen name of Clarice Peters. A Waikiki resident, she leads the Waikiki writers Group. Her protagonists in Bad Hair Day, Abby and Myron, first appeared in the short story "Driving Aunty Abby" the 2002 Honolulu Advertiser Fiction Contest winner.

Sisters in Crime/Hawaii: Welcome, Laureen. Thank you for sharing with readers your short story, Bad Hair Day, included within MYSTERY IN PARADISE 13 Tales of Suspense, and for taking time to visit with us today. 

Q1. Can you please offer a brief insight into something humorous, poignant, or unusual in your life that led you to a career in writing?

LAUREEN KWOCK: I always loved books and have been drawn to bookstores and libraries. Books seemed magical.

 
Sisters in Crime/Hawaii: Writers, by default, are independent contractors who sit alone at their computer/typewriter/journal, composing prose, poetry, lyrics, haiku, or limericks, for hours on end. 

Q2. Why did you choose to collaborate with 13 authors to participate in a short story anthology? 
 
LAUREEN KWOCK:I had already written Bad Hair Day and knew Gail from our writing group, so when she mentioned she was getting an anthology together and would entertain submissions I sent it in. The story is a humorous slice of life that I hope readers will enjoy.

 

Sisters in Crime/Hawaii: Each short story in the anthology offers a glimpse into the personality of the writer. 

Q3. In Bad Hair Day, what is one phrase or scene that reflects something about you as a writer?
 
LAUREEN KWOCK: The scene when Abby encounters Myron. She was so happy to see him. That’s what I want my readers to feel. The reader is happy to see Abby and Myron. The scene is also dialogue intensive and I tend to feature a lot of dialogue in my work.
 

“Hey, what’s the matter? You’re looking huhu.”

“My car got stolen.”

“For real?”

“Yeah. I parked it right here.” She pointed to the stall now occupied by a silver Lexus. “Then I got my hair cut. When I came back no car.”
 

Sisters in Crime/Hawaii: You’re right about that scene, Laureen. And Abby’s delight at having Myron appear spreads to the reader. The next question relates to something every writer has, a WIP (Work-In-Progress).
 
Q4. Can you tell us a bit about your current project?
 
LAUREEN KWOCK: At the moment I have an idea for another Myron and Aunty Abby story but it’s just a glimmer of an idea. I also have been working on a longer work about three women having a reunion over the years.

 
Where can readers find your books?

LAUREEN KWOCK: Amazon.com recently bought the rights to Avalon books and one of my titles, Aloha Cowboy is available there. It’s a romance not a mystery.

Aloha Cowboy by Laureen Kwock
available at Amazon.com
 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing a bit of the humorous side of the Island, Laureen. A nice smile for this Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete